Start Magazine | Latest News

Who will form Iraq's next government?

Iraq's October 10 elections reinforced the parliamentary strength of mercurial Shiite preacher Moqtada Sadr and saw a sharp decline in

read more...

'The Voice' Battles: Joshua Vacanti and Keilah Grace's slammed for 'horrible singing'

John Legend's team singers Joshua Vacanti and Keliah Grace attempted to sing Olivia Rodrigo's 'good 4 u', but according to viewers they 'butchered' it

read more...

Third Scottish health board asks for military assistance for winter

A third Scottish health board has requested help from the armed forces as it faces staffing shortages ahead of the winter months. A formal request for military support was made by NHS Grampian as the health service faces growing pressure as a result of coronavirus and the backlog of care built up during the pandemic. Last week, the British Army was called in to help NHS Lanarkshire and NHS Borders, with a total of 86 personnel deployed for a three-week period. Soldiers are also helping the Scottish Ambulance Service vehicles under a separate arrangement. An NHS Grampian spokeswoman confirmed a request for military assistance had been made and the health board was awaiting a response. Staffing pressures mean acute services - such as emergency departments, surgeries and diagnostics - in the NHS are operating at capacity. Following the request for support last week, Health Secretary Humza Yousaf said the armed forces would provide additional capacity. He said: “With increasing levels of social mixing and close social contact, it is expected that this winter Covid-19 will circulate alongside respiratory viruses, such as flu, adding to the winter pressures usually faced by the NHS. “This military support will allow both boards to support existing staff to reduce waiting times, enhance care and provide a better experience for our patients. “As always I would like to thank all those involved in our healthcare systems for their continuing hard work and dedication over this particularly busy time.” Scottish Conservative health spokesman Dr Sandesh Gulhane said the latest request showed the government’s support for the NHS was inadequate. He said: “We are not even near the peak winter period yet we have three health boards requesting urgent military assistance. “That is a direct result of Humza Yousaf’s delays and inaction. “His flimsy NHS Recovery pamphlet and belated winter plan for our health service are simply not cutting it. “More and more patients are paying the price for his lack of leadership. “Support from our UK armed forces is hugely welcome and will hopefully ease the pressure on my colleagues on the front line.” The news comes after Sage epidemiologist, Professor Andrew Hayward, warned that there is “huge potential” for the NHS to come under extreme pressure this winter as levels of Covid immunity from vaccination wane. Read More Millions waiting to receive booster jab amid fears of rising Covid hospitalisations UK daily Covid cases soar to nearly 50,000 – highest in three months Timpson lets employees claim hormone treatment therapy for menopause on expenses

read more...

Ex-Nazi death camp secretary who fled trial to face court

A 96-year-old former Nazi concentration camp secretary who absconded before her trial was set to begin is due to appear

read more...

Alibaba Unveils One of China’s Most Advanced Chips

(Bloomberg) -- Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. unveiled a new server chip that’s based on advanced 5-nanometer technology, marking a milestone

read more...

China’s Property Sector Contracts For First Time Since Pandemic

(Bloomberg) -- China’s property and construction industries contracted in the third quarter for the first time since the start of

read more...

China drafts law to punish parents for children's bad behavior

Parents in China whose young children exhibit "very bad behavior" or commit crimes could face punishment under proposed new legislation.

read more...

'Black Ink Crew: Chicago': Don Brumfield shuts down Apex Universe on its opening day

With the ongoing pandemic and Covid-19 crisis, Don is advised to close his gym till further notice, thereby not exposing more people to the virus

read more...

Gabby Petito's parents travel to Wyoming to bring her remains home

After heartbreaking and revealing details about the circumstances of her death were announced to the public, Gabby Petito's parents are finally bringing home the remains of their 22-year-old daughter.

read more...

Auto sector shifts gear towards recycling parts, batteries

From ageing electric batteries to old engines to rearview mirrors, the auto industry is revving up its recycling efforts as

read more...

Asia Stocks Climb Amid Tech Jump; Treasuries Rise: Markets Wrap

(Bloomberg) -- Most Asian stocks rose Tuesday as technology shares rallied and the prospect of solid corporate earnings helped counter

read more...

Matsuyama, Schauffele headline as PGA Tour golf returns to Asia

The US PGA Tour returns to Asia for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic when Japan hosts the Zozo

read more...

Fly more, pollute less -- the great aviation conundrum

The aviation sector is facing a great dilemma: How can it fulfil its ambition of doubling passenger numbers while meeting

read more...

Bongbong Marcos should recognize, not apologize for father’s mistakes, says ‘Bato’ dela Rosa

MANILA, Philippines — Presidential candidate Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. should acknowledge, but not apologize over, the mistakes committed by his late father, fellow presidential candidate Senator Ronald "Bato" dela Rosa said Tuesday.In the same breath, however, Dela Rosa said that if it happened to him, he would personally apologize for the mistakes of his father as it would not be a hard task to do.“Siguro, i-acknowledge nya kung mayroong mga yung mga kamalian na nagawa ng kanyang tatay but hindi siya mag-apologize doon sa nagawa ng tatay niya, dahil ang kasalanan ng tatay ay hindi naman siguro kasalanan ng anak,” Dela Rosa said in an interview with ABS-CBN News

read more...

COVID-19 cases in Davao City decrease by 31% — OCTA Research

MANILA, Philippines — The average of new COVID-19 cases in Davao City in the previous seven days was at 122, a 31-percent decrease compared to the previous week, OCTA Research said Tuesday.According to the OCTA report posted by Guido David on Twitter, Davao City remains under moderate risk for COVID-19 based on the research group’s metrics.“The 7-day average in new cases decreased to 122, a decrease of 31% from the previous week’s 7-day average. During the peak of the surge, the 7-day average was as high as 483,” read OCTA’s report.https://twitter.com/iamguidodavid/status/1450262678551687171The COVID-19 reproduction number, or the average number of new inf

read more...

‘The Voice’ Battles: Ariana picks Raquel Trinidad, Kelly uses steal to get Hailey Mia

Hailey Mia had performed Tate McRae's 'You Broke Me First' during the blind auditions and easily managed to impress the coaches

read more...

Climate: Removing CO2 from the air no longer optional

The burning question going into the Glasgow climate summit is whether major economies can, by 2050, reduce emissions enough to

read more...

Committee investigating January 6 releases criminal contempt report detailing how Steve Bannon evaded subpoena

The committee investigating the January 6 riot at the US Capitol has released its contempt report on former President Donald Trump ally Steve Bannon, a document that outlines the efforts the committee took to get Bannon to comply with its subpoena -- and the failure by him to do so.

read more...

SEC report questions trading apps after GameStop frenzy

US securities regulators studying the mysterious surge in GameStop shares in January called Monday for deeper examination of "game-like" features

read more...

Schwarber slam gives Red Sox big lead in Game 3 of ALCS

BOSTON (AP) — Kyle Schwarber hit Boston's third grand slam in two games, a drive off José Urquidy in a

read more...

HERE COMES THE BRIDE: Future mom-in-law Gretchen Barretto preps for upcoming wedding of daughter Dominique

Actress-socialite Gretchen Barretto is excited about the upcoming wedding of her daughter Dominique Cojuangco who just announced her engagement to her non-showbiz boyfriend. At 51, Gretchen said that she never expected to prepare for the wedding of her only child. CHECK OUT GRETCHEN’S POST: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVMGZbABo5q/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link Gretchen’s post on Instagram on Oct. 19: “Soon to be the Mum in law of @mj.hearn “Who would have thought I will be planning my daughter @dominique wedding at age 51 “I don’t know where & how to start (I never had one & never planned one ever) “Tony has reminded me multiple times to allow our child to enjoy the process of planning.” CHECK OUT DOMINIQUE’S POST: https://www.instagram.com/p/CU__gLUPAGA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link Dominique, 26, is the unica hija of Gretchen and business tycoon Tonyboy Cojuangco. On Oct. 14, Dominique announced her engagement to Michael Hearn.

read more...

Khalilzad, US envoy who brokered Afghan exit, quits

Zalmay Khalilzad, the veteran US envoy whose months of patient hotel-ballroom diplomacy helped end the US war in Afghanistan but

read more...

Dennis Hutchings: Army veteran dies with Covid-19 while on trial for Troubles shooting

British army veteran Dennis Hutchings, whose trial at Belfast Crown Court over a Troubles shooting was adjourned due to his ill health, has died from Covid-19, aged 80. He was accused of the killing of John Pat Cunningham, 27, who was shot while running away from an army patrol in County Tyrone in 1974. The trial had been adjourned for three weeks. Defence barrister James Lewis QC had informed Belfast Crown Court of the development as proceedings in the non-jury trial were due to begin on Monday. Hutchings had been suffering from kidney disease and the court had been sitting only three days a week to enable him to undergo dialysis treatment between hearings. He had denied a count of attempted grievous bodily harm with intent. Democratic Unionist Party leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson said it was “desperately sad news”. On Twitter, he said: “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hutchings family. We have said all along that Dennis should never have been brought to trial again, not least because of his health but also a lack of compelling new evidence. “There are serious questions to answer here.” Sinn Fein MP Michelle Gildernew tweeted: "I'm aware that there is a grieving family following the death of Denis Hutchings. "The family of John Pat Cunningham also continue to grieve tonight, 47 years after he was gunned down by British soldiers. Let's remember that grief knows no bounds.” Read More British soldier tried to climb a tree to escape elephant charge, inquest told British Museum to display world's 'oldest map of stars' Third Scottish health board asks for military assistance for winter

read more...

DC suspends most of its Metro trains over safety issue

Washington’s regional Metro system abruptly pulled more than half its fleet of trains from service early Monday morning over a lingering problem with the wheels and axles that caused a dramatic derailing last week

read more...

Down 2-0, Dodgers have Braves where they want them at home

Trailing 2-0 in the NL Championship Series, the Los Angeles Dodgers have the Atlanta Braves right where they want them

read more...
NEXT PAGE